Hemp seeds in actuality are fruit, tiny and round with a pleasingly mild and nutty taste. An easily digested protein, they are a great source of good health. They contain all 10 essential amino acids and 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds holds 11 grams of protein. They promise high amounts of fibre and fatty acids, vitamin E and trace minerals.
Hemp seeds contribute to a number of health solutions. Users have reported improved digestive systems while eating less food. Other studies show they are an excellent aid for losing weight naturally as the consumption of hemp seeds reduces cravings for stimulants like sugar, saturated fats and starches. The weight loss also takes place without the sluggishness that some diets and exercise can bring. In fact, many who have hemp seeds as a part of their regular diet notice increased energy. They feel more productive and less stressed.
Hemp seeds can be applied to pretty much any recipe, or sprinkled on a salad or pasta. There is actually no end to the creative possibilities. In terms of flavour, hemp seeds have a low profile and easily blend into other tastes. While hemp seeds in general are one of a kind, there is a wide variety of cannabis seeds. These are all very healthy and the seeds themselves have no psychedelic side-effects. Here are a couple of recipes that specifically use hemp and cannabis seeds, courtesy of Pinterest.
Roasted Garlic with Hemp Seed Oil
Hemp seed oil
- Preheat oven to 400˚F
- Peel away outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving individual clove skins intact
- With a sharp knife, remove 1/4 to a 1/2 inch off the top of cloves, exposing individual cloves of garlic
- Place garlic heads in a baking pan
- Drizzle a teaspoon of butter and hemp seed oil over the heads
- Cover with aluminum foil
- Bake for 30–35 minutes or until cloves feel soft when pressed
- Let garlic cool to the touch. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves out of skins with fingers
Hemp Seed Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white unbleached flour
1/2 cup raw hemp seeds
1.5 tsp salt
2 tsp agave syrup
1 package of rapid rise yeast
1.5 cups warm water
- Preheat oven to 375˚F
- Combine flours, hemp seeds and salt in a bowl
- In measuring cup combine yeast, warm water and agave. Let proof and stand 5 minutes (if not nice and frothy at top, throw out and restart)
- Make a well in the centre of the flours bowl
- Pour in yeast mixture, stir until it starts turning into a ball of dough
- Move dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth (hemp seeds will make dough a bit lumpy)
- Place dough in oiled bowl, cover with damp cloth and leave in a warm place to rise for 2 hours. Dough should double
- Deflate and shape dough into a loaf, let rise again 1 hour
- Bake for 30 minutes
There are no negatives by choosing to add hemp seeds to a regular diet. It supports optimal health and well being on many levels.